Monday 27 March 2017

LO2: Task 3 Understanding the skills to carry out the role of an editor



In order to become an editor you have to have an understanding on how to take raw footage and develop it into a piece of suitable or porfessional footage that would look good for the client and broadcasting. In order to start making these changes to your footage in order for it to look more porfessional you will need to start with the software. An editor must know his editing software that he will be using in order to make the film to the best of his abilities. In order to start editing you will need to import the raw footage that you have obtained into the editing software that you will be using. Then you will need to clip the footage in order for it to run together more smoothly, tools such as the razor could be used for cropping the clips. When doing our music video the speed and duration of scenes was vital, this was due to the fact that we have a music video that needed to match the pace of the music which was quite fast, this was done by manipulating the speed and duration tool. In order to create the backgroups that we had during some scenes we played the two pieces of film footage over each other and then we changed the transparancy of one of the plays, in order to make it noticable we used two different background layers. We also used the colour correction tool in order to make our backgrouds have cool visual looks that would gain the viewers attention.

Written Communication:

In terms of the written communication, our communication was directly between my gorup and the artist who was our client. We asked him what he would like within the music video and we catered it around his demands for the video. For example I asked Runcee what he wanted our of the music video and he told me he wanted a street prospective of sheffield, so we recreated this by choosing areas that connote the genre of music. I used written communication in the form of Facebook messanger, email and texting in order to keep constant contct with the client.

Verbal Communication

During the earlier stages of editing verbal communcation was hard for my group due to the fact that during that period of time my phone had been stolen and my other editing partner had changed his phone number. But a few weeks after during production communication was sorted and we had obtained full verbal and cellular communication. due to having good verbal commuincation we were able to discuss with our group what we could do in order to imporve our footage that we've edited. During my athletics career I was seen as the role model in the group that advised other how to master certain forms of running on the track, this required extremely good communication skills due to the fact that it could make a huge difference in preformance, from this I understood that I could use my words in a way that motivates people to work to the best of their abilities.

Practical Production

The practicle production stage of production was the most important stage, this was due to the fact that we were using all the skills we had learnt and developed for editing. It is essential to aquire all the clips you have first and to sort them all into order so that they're easy to access when it comes to manipulating them. Whilst doing my editing I always made sure to make drafts.I did this in order to save progress just in case my last saved spot was deleted by the computer and I always made sure to save these drafts on a SD card for extra security. The footage I had developed was perfect in terms of accessing on editing software. I have a great understanding on how to use software such as Adobe Premiere Pro CC, due to me being familiar with this programme I know exactly which tools I would need to use for the editing process of production.





 Creativity

When i preview through the clips I am about to edit I get an overall sense of what I would want the scene to look like stright away. But I don't just think about what I'd like it to look like, I try to think beyond that and plan ahead in terms of trying to make it look better than how I imagined it to be. This is my biggest pro when it comes to creating, because it shows that I am always planning ahead.

Gaps In My Skills And Areas For Imporvment: 

I have learnt quite a lot of great editing skills during this project that I can confiendtly use for myself, but whilst I have strengths there are also weaknesses. I believe that my biggest weakness that I need to improve on a lot is my time managment. It was hard for me managing time due to the fact that I was coming back and forth from hoispital during the editing stages so when we were actually editing it took quite a long time because the whole group wasn't together all the time. I believe if it wasnt for this mishaps we could've completed our project a lot faster than we did. Also another weakness I had was that I would take quite a lot of time in order to try and perfect the inperfection within the footage we had which also dragged the project to be longer than it was intended to be. I believe that as I continue to edit I will become more familiar with the tools which would mean if I was to edit footage again I would be able to edit it a lot faster than I could before.

Action Plan 

I believe that I would like more opprtunities to do more filming to gain more experience. I would like to shoot music videos during my spare time for my friends to upload the videos on LinkUp TV, which would give me experience with the software again. If I was to do this I believe that I would be able to improve my editing skills which could better benefit me in the future if I was to pursue a career in media.

No comments:

Post a Comment